Thursday, April 28, 2005

Surprise Party = Work?

So I went to this surprise party last night for my boss. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was actually really fun. The restaurant was gorgeous, it had this very comfortable, beach-house themed seating (NICE beach house where there is no sand, dirt or water) and outside there were these cabanas with couches and flat screen tvs complete with your choice of 5 different satellite channels. It was way too windy to sit outside (it's on the roof) so we lounged around the bar inside. The usual big-wigs were there (in their suits--do they ever take them off??) but most people just relaxed and had a great time. I think some of the sales guys even turned their phones off for a few hours (gasp!)

Except for one girl. I don't think she even paused for more than a second. It seemed to be her mission to speak to every important person in the room--and there weren't a lot of people, but most of them were important, you know? Now, I am all for networking, but there's a time and place for that. Maybe I was the one missing out, maybe she'll get the raise before me because of all her flitting about, but I had fun crashed on the couch flirting with the boss's nephew (so cute, so young) and getting to know her kids.

I have another party tonight and this one will involve lots of networking. Thankfully it won't be a long night so there won't be too much danger of getting plastered while trying to relax (which has happened to me on occasion and it wasn't too much fun--it's way too easy to drink when you don't know that many people and there's an open bar.)

No comments: