Sunday, May 22, 2005

I had an awful premonition.

I knew it was coming, I mean, I remember when it happened to my mom. I just wasn't prepared for what it would really be like.

Then it happened: My hairdryer tried to kill me.

I was just drying my hair, alternately flipping my head over to get some volume and my dryer kept going off. When I raised it back up, it would come back on. So I tried it a few more times to make sure it wasn't just me... Raise it up--power. Lower--no power.

Raised-ON, lower-OFF, onoffonoffonoffonoffonoff... then...

SPARKS, FLAMES, EXPLOSIONS, ARMAGGEDDON!!

The base of the dryer erupted in sparks, flames, hideous electrical exploding noises... very traumatic. I probably should have turned it off or pulled the plug or dropped it and ran, but I was afraid of burning down the house so I stood there holding the eletric geyser at arm's length whimpering "oh shit, holy shit" over and over until the dryer had spent itself and died.

Having a healthy distrust of all electrical appliances anyway (maybe because when I was a child, my dad warned me not to stick my hand into the garbage disposal--when it was off-- because, as he said "it's only electric") I think I'm going for the natural look for a few days.

You'll be able to find me at Target in the next few days, purchasing a new dryer... I'm resilient like that.

No comments: